Many caregivers provide care for their dependent family members as an act of love, devotion, or family loyalty. Some are caregivers because they financially don’t know what else to do for their loved one. Whatever the reason is that you are a caregiver to a loved one, the reality is that the job is a big one. The role of caregiver taxes you physically, emotionally, and mentally.
Did you know the stress of caregiving has been shown to subtract as much as 10 years off the life of the caregiver? And 23% or more of caregivers who have cared for a loved one for 5 years or more report that their own health is fair or poor.
And with an older population that is growing exponentially, there are that many more caregivers out there who need support and services to help them care for their loved ones to the best of their ability. Adult Day Services, like AGE’s Adult Day Health Care Centers, can provide much needed respite for caregivers. Using Adult Day Services provides safe supervision for loved ones during the day while still allowing them to live at home with their family.
Here are a few of the benefits for the caregiver when an older adult attends Adult Day Health Care:
- Ability to carry out errands or chores without having to bring along the loved one.
- Greater chance to engage in self-care including working out, napping, etc.
- Freedom from worrying about medication management or health monitoring of their loved one during the day.
- Ability to maintain consistent employment
- Time to spend with your own children or grandchildren
- The opportunity to honor their loved one’s wish to live at home for as long as possible without sacrificing their own physical and emotional health.
To learn more about AGE’s Adult Day Health Care Centers, please click here.